New York City
Department of Education (2003-Present)
Public high school teaching experience includes all
strands of the
CUNY System (The City University of New York)
Brooklyn College (2006-present)
Financial Services Industry (highest positions shown) (1978-2002)
United States Army (1975-1978)
Graduate Center of the City University of New York (2005-2010)
Brooklyn College (2003-2005)
Baylor University (1977)
· Meritorious Service Medal (presented to members of the United States Armed Forces who distinguish themselves by outstanding meritorious achievement or service to the United States).
· Peer-Reviewed Paper: Changes in Mathematics Curricula and Assessments: A Bernsteinian Analysis of Mathematics Education in the New York State Public Schools: by Robert Stephen Watson, Susan Semel, and Alan Sadovnik. This paper was presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) National Convention in New Orleans, LA, April 2011.
· Chancellor’s Fellow at the City University of New York’s
Graduate Honors at
· Michael Jordan Fundamentals Grant (2006-2007) for “Mathematics in the Park”
Michael Jordan Fundamentals Grant (2007-2008) for “
· Conference Paper: Changes in Mathematics Curricula: A Socio-historical Analysis of Mathematics Education in the Public Schools of New York (1866-2010). Sixth International Basil Bernstein Research Symposium, Brisbane, Australia; July 2010.
Acres of Diamonds in
· Article: Sheriff John Watson of Prince Edward County, Virginia and his descendants, including Thomas S. Watson Sr. business partner of Andrew Jackson, Virginia Tidewater Genealogy, Volume 34, Numbers 2, 3, and 4. June, September and December, 2003. Genealogical Society of Tidewater Virginia.
· Article: Thomas S. Watson Sr., Miller, Ironmaster, & Business Partner of Andrew Jackson, in "From Knickers to Body Stockings" and Other Essays from the Nashville Historical Newsletter, published by Nashville Historic Newsletter, Nashville, 2006.
· Principal and co-founder: The Jefferson Math Project. See www.jmap.org (2004-present).
· Presenter: “Fellows at Five” – NYCTF Conference (2005)
· IHS@PH Testing Coordinator (2007-2009)
· IHS@PH Professional Development Committee/Inquiry Team Member (2007-2009)
· IHS@PH Data Specialist (2007-2009)
· IHS@PH Advisor to Students for a Free Tibet club (2007-2008)
· Mathematics Advisor for planning committee of a new small school approved by NYCDOE for start up in September 2009.
· IHS@PH UFT Chapter Leader (2009-present)